In order to get to know the founder of Lavolio a little better, I put her through her paces with a speedy questionnaire. 20 seconds per question and no Umming and Aahing…
1. If you had a free hour today, how would you fill it?
I would come up with more recipes!
2. What is your most treasured possession?
My most treasured possession is, that’s very difficult…my books?
3. The most bizarre thing you’ve ever done?
I’ve done loads of bizarre things, I don’t know, maybe eating a soup with fish eyeballs in it. Well, I "had to eat" it really.
4. Who is your biggest hero in life?
Wow, it depends on which aspect of life. I definitely have a lot of different role models for different things. No, I can’t decide, there are too many inspirational people.
5. What’s your all-time favourite flavour?
Ohh, I’m tempted to say caramel, all sweets really, ha ha, that’s terrible!
6. You are the second of six children, what was the first thing to disappear from your fridge at home on a weekly basis when you were younger?
Probably milk, we used to drink it in the morning - but also during the day and before going to bed: in total six or seven litres of milk every single day in my household in Italy. I’m not kidding.
7. From a London girl to an Italian one, where can I find the best pizza in town?!
I love the authentic Napoli style pizza from Santa Maria.
8. Is running your own confectionery company more or less relaxing than working for a bank?
Depends, sometimes more, sometimes less, but I am really passionate about confectionery! I enjoy it and I love it so much more than working for a bank.
9. Okay, I have to ask, what’s your favourite sweet (apart from Lavolios, obviously)?
I love marshmallows and I also like soft nougat, caramelised fruit and fruit jellies. I can go on forever, I have loads of favourites.
10. How did you end up making confectionery?
I was made redundant, I love food and in particular I love sweets. It all started in the kitchen and it is still a journey made of learning, discovering, creating and experimenting.
11. Great idea to combine your first and last names, if you had a middle name what would it have become?
Lavmartolio? My middle name is Martina, so maybe Lavintina?!
13. On a more serious note, what has been your biggest challenge so far?
I guess finding a definite path. You never know where you are going and you have to be very resilient and adapt very quickly. You’d think you can forecast but you don’t. You have no idea how long it’s going to take and estimates are always inaccurate so that I think that part is difficult.
14. How about your biggest success?
I love the fact that we have connected with hundreds of happy costumers, in person or on-line. It is so rewarding to know that they have been real innovators and trusted us into trying something new!
15. Finally, where do you see yourself in five years?
More international, more established, more experimental and having spread the Lavolio love to loads of people!