It’s not a coincidence that this recipe was part of the delicious meal that I prepared in our Lavolio video‘A Perfect After Dinner Treat with Lavolio’.
Our Lavolio sweets make for the perfect after dinner treat, so I thought what better idea than to write my next blog post on one of my homemade recipes, which would accompany perfectly one of our Lavolio confectionery collections. My favourite is the luxurious Decadent Spiced. This duck leg recipe is one of the mains I would cook if I am having a large number of dinner guests. It’s easy to do because it’s slowly cooked in the oven, and it allows me to sit together with my guests and enjoy the dinner conversation rather than spending much time in the kitchen.
This dish is bursting full of rich and warming flavours, and accompanies ourDecadent Spiced Collection perfectly as an after dinner treat. So keep reading and have a go at this wonderful recipe for your next dinner party. Your guests will not be disappointed.
Slow Roasted Duck in Red Wine Sauce
Preparation time: 20 minute
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
⬩ 6 duck legs
⬩ half a bottle of red wine
⬩ 1 vegetable stock cube
⬩ mixed vegetables of your preference (this recipe uses 1 onion, 2 carrots, 1 leek)
⬩ salt and pepper
⬩ five spice powder
1. Preheat oven to 180C, fan 160C, gas mark 4
2. Prepare duck legs by scoring the skin. Do this by running a sharp knife down and across the skin to form a cross-hatch pattern. This will help release the fat between the skin and the flesh. Season the duck by rubbing it with a good amount of salt, pepper and five spice powder.
3. Heat a large frying pan on a high heat. Without adding any oil, place the duck legs skin-side down and leave to cook for 2-3 minutes. Once the skin is golden and crispy, turn them over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
4. Prepare a large roasting tin by placing the chopped mixed vegetables scattered across the bottom. Place the duck legs on top, with the skin-side up.
5.Combine separately the vegetable stock cube with enough boiling water. Mix in the red wine and stir.
6. Add the liquid mix to the roasting tin so that it is 3/4 full with the duck skin slightly showing.
7. Roast in the oven for a minimum of 1 hour 30 minutes. The longer the better!
⬩ Sweet potato mash
⬩ Rocket and cherry tomato salad
⬩ You can use the cooking juices from the roasting pan to make a delicious gravy (by straining them and then reducing in a pot with a teaspoon of corn flour).
End your evening on a sweet note by sharing round a box of Decadent Spiced. Grab yourself a box by clickinghere. Enjoy!